Thursday, February 26, 2015

Develop a "Rule of Life" Day 4


  Blog »  
Next Step:  Develop a "Rule of Life"
 Day 4

Thursday, February 26, 2015
     Jeff Lampl



"
He continued to pray just as he had always done."   Daniel 6:10

Begin
Silence, Stillness, and Centering before God (2 minutes)    
       

Scripture Reading: Psalm 119:27–32

  Cause me to understand the way of your precepts,
  that I may meditate on your wonderful deeds.

My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to your word.
Keep me from deceitful ways;
be gracious to me and teach me your law.
I have chosen the way of faithfulness;
I have set my heart on your laws.
I hold fast to your statutes, Lord; do not let me be put to shame.
I run in the path of your commands,
for you have broadened my understanding.
 
  Devotional
  The most famous “Rule of Life” in the Western world is the Rule of St. Benedict, written in
  the sixth century. In a nonstop, distracted world like ours, a “Rule of Life” brings balance
  and simplicity, inviting us to a life which seeks everything in proper measure: work, prayer,
  solitude, and relationships.

 

  Benedict begins his Rule with a call to listen and an invitation to surrender to God:
           

Listen carefully, my son, to the master’s instructions, and attend to them with the ear of your heart. This is advice from a father who loves you; welcome it, and faithfully put it into practice. The labor of obedience will bring you back to him from whom you had drifted through the sloth of disobedience. This message of mine is for you, then, if you are ready to give up your own will, once and for all,

and armed with the strong and noble weapons of obedience to do battle for the true King, Christ the Lord. . . . . 
 

Therefore we intend to establish a school for the Lord’s service . . . . Do not be daunted immediately by fear and run away from the road that leads to salvation. It is bound to be narrow at the outset. But as we progress in this way of life and in faith, we shall run on the path of God’s commandments, our hearts overflowing with the inexpressible delight of love. 83
 
  Question to Consider
  What would it look like for you to “run on the path of God’s commandments”?
 

  Prayer
  Lord, you know my world can be non-stop and complex. Help me to balance the demands
  coming at me today, remembering you while I work, and keeping you at the center of all I
  do. In Jesus’ name, amen.


  Conclude with Silence (2 minutes)



Comment
   

For more:   follow on Twitter @jefflampl  

No comments:

Post a Comment