Thursday, December 11, 2014

Grace

Blog »    
       
Grace
Thursday, December 11, 2014
Jeff Lampl


"And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit."
2 CORINTHIANS 3:18 (NIV)

If you are anything like I and my family are, you are racing through the Christmas season finding yourself not only busy but also sometimes cranky.  Why doesn’t God just take away the bad stuff in me so that I am more like Him?  CS Lewis helps us understand how Grace works.

I find a good many people have been bothered by . . . . Our Lord’s words, ‘Be ye perfect’. Some people seem to think this means ‘Unless you are perfect, I will not help you’; and as we cannot be perfect, then, if He meant that, our position is hopeless. But I do not think He did mean that. I think He meant ‘The only help I will give is help to become perfect. You may want something less: but I will give you nothing less.’

Let me explain. When I was a child I often had toothache, and I knew that if I went to my mother she would give me something which would deaden the pain for that night and let me get to sleep. But I did not go to my mother—at least, not till the pain became very bad. And the reason I did not go was this. I did not doubt she would give me the aspirin; but I knew she would also do something else. I knew she would take me to the dentist next morning. I could not get what I wanted out of her without getting something more, which I did not want. I wanted immediate relief from pain: but I could not get it without having my teeth set permanently right. And I knew those dentists: I knew they started fiddling about with all sorts of other teeth which had not yet begun to ache. They would not let sleeping dogs lie, if you gave them an inch they took an ell.

Now, if I may put it that way, Our Lord is like the dentists. If you give Him an inch, He will take an ell. Dozens of people go to Him to be cured of some one particular sin which they are ashamed of (like masturbation or physical cowardice) or which is obviously spoiling daily life (like bad temper or drunkenness). Well, He will cure it all right: but He will not stop there. That may be all you asked; but if once you call Him in, He will give you the full treatment. (Mere Christianity pages 173-174)


Comment
   

For more:   follow on Twitter @jefflampl  

2 comments:

  1. Thought I would share my quiet time study this morning. Haven't followed this blog in over 2 years, read this last night and this morning my study was in Hebrews 9 & 10.
    I would encourage all who have any question/thought/consideration/issue with the idea of 'being perfect' to study these chapters.
    To paraphrase: Sin makes us imperfect. The 'wages of sin is death'. We are dead in our sins. We are imperfect in our sin. We have guilty consciences, not clean and clear consciences. We cannot stand before God in good conscience. Christ in his humanity, representative of all humanity could. As Hebrews points out, an inheritance is only an inheritance upon death. Death has to be proved and that is through the blood. Blood no longer flowing, no longer life giving is the proof of death that puts the will into effect. The death of Jesus Christ, through his blood put into effect his 'will' as the Bible describes and the inheritance he left? Why, that's our righteousness. Only through pure, sinless righteousness can we stand before God unblemished-perfect! Hebrews tells us that Jesus entered, not the manmade Tabernacle but the Heavenly Tabernacle to sit at the right hand of God to mediate for us. Our inheritance is his perfection! And, His perfection does what 'being perfect' means-it cleanses our consciences. The Law could not cleanse our guilty consciences. But, the blood of Christ can. Ah, but only if we let it. Think of the worst thing you have done, think of standing before God Almighty with it. Really think it, in all its shame, go before God. Can you do it? Probably not is my guess. But, now go before the Father picturing yourself holding onto the hand of Christ. We say to God, "Father, I am to be shamed, but your Son, has graciously, lovingly given me his perfection and his purity. He stands before you, Father as me. Thank you, God for sending your Son, thank you, Jesus for loving me ever so graciously".
    "Be Perfect" requires courage and faith. Do we really believe in the righteousness of Christ or do we secretly think we have the ability to live out the Law? Are we holding onto past imperfections because we can't believe that it would be that easy to let go of them? Be Perfect, don't insult the spirit of grace (Hebrews 10:29) live a life of faith in the righteousness that Christ has willed to us. Be Perfect and he will make us holy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRF4KKx7czU

    Love divine, all loves excelling,
    Joy of heaven, to earth come down,
    fix in us thy humble dwelling;
    all thy faithful mercies crown.
    Jesus, thou art all compassion;
    pure, unbounded love thou art;
    visit us with thy salvation;
    enter every trembling heart.
    2 Breathe, O breathe thy loving Spirit
    into every troubled breast;
    let us all in thee inherit;
    let us find the promised rest.
    Take away the love of sinning;
    Alpha and Omega be;
    end of faith, as its beginning,
    set our hearts at liberty.
    3 Come, Almighty, to deliver; Come, Almighty, to deliver;
    let us all thy life receive;
    suddenly return, and never,
    nevermore thy temples leave.
    Thee we would be always blessing,
    serve thee as thy hosts above,
    pray, and praise thee without ceasing,
    glory in thy perfect love.
    4 Finish then thy new creation;
    pure and spotless let us be;
    let us see thy great salvation
    perfectly restored in thee:
    changed from glory into glory,
    till in heaven we take our place,
    till we cast our crowns before thee,
    lost in wonder, love, and praise.

    ReplyDelete