Thursday, November 13, 2014

Tamani Orphanage, Nairobi, Kenya


Blog »    

CLC

Changed Lives by Christ
                     
C
hanging Lives by Christ  

Tamani Orphanage, Nairobi, Kenya

Thursday, November 13, 2014
Jeff Lampl



"And this hope will not lead to disappointment. For we know how dearly God loves us,
because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love."

Romans 5:5 (NLT)

The following letter comes from James and Truphena, the founders and administrators of the Tamani Orphanage which you, the CLC are helping to build.   It’s a poignant picture of power of love.   

“This is to you that believe in the power of God’s work . . . . even at times when everything may seem to prove otherwise. So on this normal day of working and moving all over in the slums. Sometimes stopping and thinking ‘why should I do this for the whole day?’ there is always the following day to look forward to fixing another issue, do some extra follow up or just want to see how things are moving. This was one of the days that is was so exhausted and it was to me one of those long . . . . one of the days that you wish to get to the house and straight to take a shower and engulf yourself in your mattress as is there is never going to be another chance as such to sleep.

We pulled over to my gate, my wife keeping me busy with stories as it was heading to 5:30pm and I was totally spent! As I reverse the car so that we may get inside the compound, I get a phone call from the local administration officer . . . .  the first thing I do is to show my wife who is calling (we have a culture of making each other more bored . . . . when we receive such calls at times when the least we expect is to be called for a case in the slums in the dying moments of the day ) and the first thing she says is that “hun . . . . you know for sure that you have had a tiresome and long day . . . . can’t this wait?"  and I was tempted not to pick that call. The ‘do-it’ side wins the battle and I was asked the obvious . . . .  ‘please come and help us here . . . . there is a desperate case of two little kids and we don’t know how to handle it because the police have asked us to sort it, and its late . . . . please come!’

I engaged into another battle . . . . my wife being of the ‘dont-go’ side and yes . . . . she lost! I dropped her off, she left and asked me to be careful and in a while I was at the office, met by a middle aged man, seated by himself at the far side waiting bench as is deep in agony and thoughts. I knew he was amongst the reasons I was called. Getting inside, there were two little kids of about the ages 3 and 4. Virtually sick and with less energy. I sat for some briefing and I learnt that the kids belonged to the man I walked past at the bench. ‘there is nothing he has not tried, he has received help from the neighbors, the community and even the government’ said the officer. Yes you are asking the same question that I am about to answer . . . . .  their mother took off and left them unawares!

I sat there and listened to such a long list of frustrations and disillusionment from the officer and not long, he called for the father to come in. “It all started when things in my life turned upside down" started the old man.
"I lost my job as a cook, and I had to end up in the slums. She knew I struggled to make ends meet . . . . . but she was never patient. The worst happened when I was in the slums doing some odd job, and I fell my down only to wake up few minutes later and I was told that I had convulsed. My worst fear was confirmed when I was told that I had developed epilepsy. I had hopes of my wife being by my side during this tough time but things got worse when one evening I came back from looking out for means to keep us going, and she was gone . . . . leaving me behind with two young, innocent and helpless kids.”

I had noticed that the man was not walking normally, he kind of staggered, and as we continued to talk, he revealed that during one of those times as he was looking preparing some meal for his family, he went into the convulsion that epileptic people experience and he was all alone. Unfortunately, he fell on the fire. This incident left him with a very bad wound that was not cured. And he had sought for treatment in vain, simply because the only health facilities that could help, needed money that he didn’t have.

I sat for close to an hour listening to the man pour out his heart, tears flowing down his cheek as if to soother the pain that life had subjected to him but in vain. And I then interrupted and asked him how I could be of help. And he wanted to have me take care and custody of the kids. Yes you may have another question in your mind but I can answer it . . . . .  Indeed he had tried to take the kids back to the grandmothers of both sides. . . . . but again in vain. Even his own people had rejected him and went ahead and sold his piece of land for inheritance. This was one of the many reasons the kids could even spend some night out in the slums as the man could be drunk and passed out, never to come home at night. We agreed to have the kids go to Tamani, I sent for the caretaker to come and get them for we agreed that I was to head to his house and get the clinic cards, birth cards and documents for the kids, with their clothes. Getting deeper in the slums, we got to a lonely house, nothing seemingly of value but a bed with only a mattress and nothing else. I quickly wondered how he was sleeping and staying with the two little kids. He asked me to sit and we again started talking.

‘Young man’ . . . . he stated, ‘I want to say thank you. I didn’t know that I would get this type of help.' He told me that tonight was his last attempt to seek help. To make his actions genuine, he bent down under his side of the bed and pulled out a hand written note and gave it to me. Allow me to paraphrase its words in English.

“to you out there. I have tried to make ends meet but I have failed. It is now one and half years since my world turned its back on me. Today is the last day of my life. I apologize to everyone for what I have done. I realize that there is no one out there who could understand my pain. I had to end it with this life, together with these little ones. I know how bad it is to kill, to commit suicide but I was left with no option.  I could not think of leaving them in the world alone and that is why I had to take their lives too.”

I sat in that dusty bed, tears filling my eyes, not knowing what I was to utter the next time I was to say a word. My mouth went dry as my heart pounded so hard. I struggled to accept the hard reality that this man was poised to take his life and that of his two innocent kids. No sooner had I gathered strength to address him in a way which I never knew how, than he handed me a used soda bottle that had some liquid inside of it. Yes, that was the evidence what he had mixed, so as to have to kids drink, then himself. ‘when were you to do this?” I asked. And he said he was never going to spend the night alive, if he didn’t find a solution to where he could take his kids.

After a few mins. of talking and having him encouraged, I asked that he could come with me to Tamani and see where his kids were (for he had no idea where they were going, and he in turn seemed not really concerned to know) we never talked until we got to Tamani (tears not drying in my eyes as I asked myself thousands of questions with no answer!) upon arriving, we found the kids seated, one of them crying. I headed straight to the little girl and carried her to my laps. Embraced and had her calm down. I was informed that she had been crying since she arrived there. Then I asked her what she wanted. To our surprise, she said that she wanted us to pray. We were all quiet and we asked her to go on and pray.

“Mungu Baba (Swahili for God Father) thank you the good home, thank you for taking care of us, Amen” this was another moment that we were left with soaked eyes as we and nanny Stella told her that she was going to be fine. I stayed holding her, knowing well of what was to happen, had God not intervened in the lives of these innocent kids, oblivious of what was to be another headline story in the slums. This is where I have to end my long story (before you save this document and decide to continue reading it during your free time.)

Maybe just to let you know why I kept you this long reading about some old man who had come to the Brink of giving up on both hope, and life. God is never asleep!!  I was reminded of a verse that I once read and the words stuck to my spirit . . . . THESE THREE REMAIN . . . .FAITH, HOPE AND LOVE . . . . BUT THE GREATEST OF THESE IS LOVE!!  Friends, we serve a God who did, does and will always Love us, without any conditions! We should never get to a point of being lied to, or fooled to assume that the normalcy of life, is because it was meant to be like that . . . . there is a God who orchestrates everything to be the way it is.  May you have your hope renewed in God, may He show you how His unlimited power is at work even at times when you may feel otherwise.

Comment
   

For more:   follow on Twitter @jefflampl

No comments:

Post a Comment