Monday, November 24, 2014

Is Our President Right on "Amnesty"?

Blog »    

Is Our President Right on "Amnesty"?


Monday, November 24, 2014
Jeff Lampl


"Do not oppress an alien; you yourselves know how it feels to be aliens,
because you were aliens in Egypt.” 

Exodus 23:9 (NIV)

Last week President Obama issued an executive order to allow 5 million illegal immigrants to live without the pressure of deportation for up to three years without the promise of citizenship.   Citing the above scripture and former President Bush, the President said,

"Scripture tells us that we shall not oppress a stranger, for we know the heart of a stranger—we were strangers once, too," said Obama. "My fellow Americans, we are and always will be a nation of immigrants. We were strangers once, too."

That seems to me to be exactly right.

It has been said that James Madison would have rolled over in his grave at the brashness of this executive order which breaches the fundamental principles of the constitution of which Madison is the primary author (he wrote it based on the Christian principle that humans are sinners and the three branches of government exist so that no one branch can overstep) 

I’m not so sure, however, that Madison would be rolling over in his grave.   Why? Because behind the desire to ensure that government does not become a dictatorship is the desire to protect people from injustice.   Whether our President has overstepped his authority or not, is it not true that the Christian claim is that everyone who finds his or her way into God’s Kingdom has done so without merit?   Is it not true that I, a sinner, who spends so much of his energies on grasping at ways to serve myself, have nevertheless been invited into God’s kingdom by his sacrifice for me?  Is it not true that while “yet a sinner’ (Romans 5:8) God in Christ paid the highest price to adopt me, an undeserving “alien” so I that I could have full rights as God’s child (Romans 8:14-17) and citizenship “in his new country” (Ephesians 2:19 TLB).  Is it not also true that it is by pure Grace that I am a citizen of this country? 

I have always been so moved by the incredible poem that is carved into our statue of Liberty.

"Give me your tired, your poor, 
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
 I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"  

Perhaps you are wondering how this “amnesty” order is fair to those who have come to America legally.   Perhaps you are wondering how fair it is to Americans who are seeking employment only to find the doors shut because an illegal has his job.  Perhaps you cannot make the leap from being adopted by God into His Kingdom by Grace translates into “amnesty’ for those south of the border.  Tune in tomorrow for part two.


Comment
   

For more:   follow on Twitter @jefflampl 

No comments:

Post a Comment