Friday, September 16, 2016

Review of Heart to Heart Sunday Message

Pastor’s Blog

September 16, 2016
Jeff Lampl

This is what GOD says, the God who builds a road right through the ocean,
 who carves a path through pounding waves. . . .
 "Forget about all that.  That’s nothing compared to what I’m going to do.
For I’m going to do a brand new thing. See, I have already begun! Don’t you not perceive  it?”
Isaiah 43:18-19

On Sunday I shared my heart for you, the CLC family, for God and for the future of our church.  One of the songs we sang was 10,000 Reasons, one of my all-time favorite worship songs (currently it is my favorite).   And I noticed how perfect the first verse was for this message.   Here it is;

Bless the Lord oh my soul
Oh my soul
Worship His Holy name
Sing like never before
Oh my soul
I'll worship Your Holy name

The sun comes up
It's a new day dawning
It's time to sing Your song again
Whatever may pass
And whatever lies before me
Let me be singing
When the evening comes

Here’s a review of what I said in Sunday’s Message. 
If you weren’t here, you can listen to it here


I began the message by reading Acts 2:42 – 3:10 and explained how those verses were in my view an exact description of how God brought me into His Kingdom.   I was like the beggar who was noticed, offered Jesus, helped to his feet, found himself praising God for his new life and then I entered the Acts 2 description of the new kind of community formed by Jesus called “the church”.   It was awesome.  Over the following 8 years connected in that kind of church I saw with my own eyes God “adding daily those who were being saved”.

Kathy and I then came to New London Presbyterian Church as pastor and the Lord just kept adding to His church, to this new kind of community of people who were following Jesus.  That continued for decades, even leading us to move to Saginaw Road to build the Christian Life Center.

However, over the last six years instead of continual numerical growth we have experienced the opposite.   We moved to our new location here on Saginaw Road based on projections of continued attendance and giving growth, but actual attendance and giving have decreased.   Obviously this trend has caused me and others a great deal of soul searching!

Now, after years of soul searching, and to be perfectly honest, a whole lot of self-doubt, I have simply found myself returning to what I know.  What I know is that Jesus is no less alive today than He was in our previous decades together.   For a follower of Jesus there just isn’t any room available for worry, fear or excessive ruminating over what might be, might have been, or what isn’t.  Intelligent assessment is important.  But once assessment is done and whatever needed corrections are made, it is then time to remember and re-enter the reality of the Gospel which is that Jesus is at every moment making all things new.   Personally I am so, so grateful that God has brought me back to His reality that He is leading his church and it is that reality has me as excited as I have ever been about his future for His Kingdom in and through CLC. 

So, what now?   First, the future for the work of God in and through CLC is unlimited.  “No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what the Lord has prepared for those who love him”  1 Cor. 2:9.   Therefore as of 9/11/16 I see a brand new season of vibrant, exciting, life-giving, community and outreach in and through CLC.   As each of us is willing to be a blessing to others we will find ourselves blessed beyond measure.

Second, this new season will include succession planning, which means that your leaders and I are also preparing for my successor and for an excellent and uplifting transition to the next pastor.   I am not tired, I am still as enthusiastic and energized about Jesus and his church as ever and I am certain that my time here is not done.   It will most likely be years before an actual succession takes place, but we are preparing now for whatever God has planned.   No, I am not moving to Fiji, and no, I am not being nudged out by anyone.  The elders actually like me!  And I love them.   But this next new season of ministry will be one, not only of a new work of God, but also one that is positioned to grow, not stall, when the baton is passed to a new pastor.

The really, really big thing, though, the biggest thing of all is our hearts for God.  

There is only one thing needed for this next season and that is for you and I to be able to be all in with God.   This new season will mean that each of us “offer ourselves as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God” Romans 12:1.   This requires each of us to “take up our cross and follow Jesus”.   It requires us to pray Jesus’ prayer, “not my will, but Yours be done”.   It means transitioning from the church being a place that you hope will bless (benefit) you, to the church becoming a place in and through which your goal becomes to bless others.   It means saying to God, to Jesus, “my life is yours, show me how to serve you and I’ll do it”.   It means saying to God, “show me how to be ‘all in’ as a servant in and through the CLC family”.

When God has a church family like that, the blessings flow.   It’s simple really, when we live to give away Jesus and his blessings rather than to seek them, it is then that we are blessed.   When we seek blessings first, and then seek to serve as a second thing, we will never find ourselves truly blessed.   That’s just how God works.  It’s Life 101.

So, here's my suggestion for how to say to God “I’m in with you God, and I’m in with CLC”.  

First play and sing along with Matt Redman as he sings 10,000 Reasons (lyrics below).  Feel the incredible way that God has blessed you with his Life, with Life itself.  Do this until your gratitude to God overwhelms you.  
,
Second play the song Wake up (lyrics below)   Read the words, then sing them with the recording.  Make this song your commitment to become not a seeker of blessings but a giver of them to others.  Make this your “I’m in” commitment to Jesus.  

Third, enter into this new commitment daily, paying attention to all the ways that God prompts you to act and intervenes to bless you.

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us,  to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. Ephesians 3:20-21 (NIV)

 

10,000 Reasons                                                         Wake Up

Bless the Lord oh my soul                                           We have seen the hope
Oh my soul                                                                 of your healing
Worship His Holy name                                               Rising from our souls
Sing like never before                                                  is the feeling
Oh my soul                                                                 We are drawing close
                                                                                  Your light is shining through
I'll worship Your Holy name                                           Your light is shining through
The sun comes up
It's a new day dawning                                                  Wake up, wake up, wake up
It's time to sing Your song again                                     wake up all you sleepers
Whatever may pass                                                       stand up, stand up
And whatever lies before me
Let me be singing                                                          Stand up all you dreamers
When the evening comes                                               Hands up, hands up
                                                                                    Hands up all believers
Bless the Lord oh my soul                                              Take up your cross, carry it on
Oh my soul
Worship His Holy name                                                   All lthat you reveal
Sing like never before                                                      with light in us
Oh my soul                                                                     will come to life
I'll worship Your Holy name                                              and start breathing, 'cause

You're rich in love                                                             here we stand our hearts are 
And You're slow to anger                                                   yours, Lord not our will but yours
Your name is great                                                            be done, Lord (3x-4x)
And Your heart is kind
For all Your goodness
I will keep on singing
Ten thousand reasons
For my heart to find

Bless the Lord oh my soul
Oh my soul
Worship His Holy name
Sing like never before
Oh my soul
I'll worship Your Holy name
Bless You Lord

And on that day
When my strength is failing
The end draws near
And my time has come
Still my soul will
Sing Your praise unending
Ten thousand years
And then forevermore
Forevermore

Bless the Lord oh my soul
Oh my soul
Worship His Holy name
Sing like never before
Oh my soul
I'll worship Your Holy name

Bless the Lord oh my soul
Oh my soul
Worship His Holy name
Sing like never before
Oh my soul
I'll worship Your Holy name
Yes I'll worship Your Holy name
I'll worship Your Holy name

Sing like never before
Oh my soul
I'll worship Your Holy name
Jesus I will worship Your Holy name
Worship Your Holy name







No comments:

Post a Comment