Monday, September 14, 2015

Not a House, but a Home

BLOG

NOT A HOUSE, BUT A HOME
Monday, September 14, 2015
Jeff Lampl



"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.”  Genesis 1:1  

"Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts."  Hebrews 4:7   

What does the account of God making the world have to do with my life on Monday?  Here’s how.  

Let’s say that Kathy and I decide we want to build a house.  We build it and you’re curious about how we did it.  You want to know the story of our house building.  

My answer might be “You should have seen it, we bought this land, it was a great site, and then these guys came in with big machines and cleared it.  Then others came in and dug a hole.  After that others laid the foundation and then built upwards, floor by floor until they got to the roof.  And my explanation would continue from there.  

I would be describing the building of the house, the physical structure.  

At that point Kathy jumps into the conversation and she says, “Actually we started with the second floor balcony off our bedroom, because at this point in our lives we want to wake up with our coffee, go out on the deck with our Baileys French Vanilla creamer and sit in delicious conversation taking in God’s beauty.”  

Kathy is describing the building not of a house, but of a home.  

Was an actual physical structure built?  Yes.  Was Kathy’s explanation correct? Yes.  Was her description of the building process out of sequence?  Yes, if you are describing the actual sequential construction of a house.  No, if you are starting with a conceptual plan of the home.  Did her description match my description?  No.   Were both accurate?  Yes.  

Christians agree that Genesis one describes both the building of a house and home.   Even though they don’t agree on how God built it (the “house”) they do agree that God did it and why.  What God did in creating the heavens and the earth was more than creating a house

God was creating a home.  

Actually the Hebrew word for “created” carries the same meaning as creating a work of art, not referring to the creation of the canvas or brush or paint, rather making with those things something beautiful.   That Hebrew word is also translated as make or made.   The meaning then is similar to my making the bed in the morning.  I get up in the morning, look at the bed and see that it’s a mess (chaos, Genesis 1:2) pillows and sheets everywhere and I then make the bed into a thing of beauty.   (Yes, it is me who does this every, single, morning of my entire life!)

I didn’t construct or manufacture the bed, rather I arranged into a work of beauty (just a slight stretch).  

God is making, creating, designing and building a home for Himself to dwell in, a home teaming with life, a home prepared for a huge family to flourish and thrive in, a home in which God and we can thrive in loving relationship.    

This is what we read in Genesis one and two.  God making a home.   God the Great Homemaker builds, makes and occupies every square inch of this home he has made, and inhabits every split second of every day that it exists.  

Why does this matter?  Because you and I are “on Holy Ground” at every moment and in every place.  God is where you are and that’s where you meet him, not where you are not.    His blessings and love and guidance and safety and presence and purpose for you are available to you right where you are.  

When I get up tomorrow morning, God is right there in the bedroom with me cheering me on, believing in me, encouraging me.  I can start my day by saying, “Thank You Lord”.   I love being your son, daughter,” I can smell the fresh air and be grateful for food to eat for breakfast.   That’s what homemakers do, isn’t it, they give you what you need to start your day.  

I can then go to work and God is there too, coaching me, guiding me, warning me, giving me strength, training me in godliness, all the while He’s in my corner and He’s got my back.   If I fall he will pick me up.    If I can’t find him He finds me. If I rebel and I’m mad at him, he’s not mad at me.  If I sin He forgives me.    If I experience anger, hate, lust or avoidance He knows all of that and if am aware at all of my sin, it’s because He loves me  enough to show it to me.  

If I suffer, it’s his love that lets me suffer.  Why?  Sometimes so that I can see what my sin does to me and to others.  Sometimes because he has a greater purpose for the situation I’m in.  Sometimes He wants to make you stronger.   

But always He’s the great Father and trainer and coach and yes, homemaker, the One who made your section of his home specially for you.  He teaches you never to settle for the lie that rest can be found somewhere other than in himself, that there is no other home, that rest, joy, peace, purpose cannot be found apart from Him.   

And none of that ever, ever, ever happens tomorrow.  It only happens today.

 
Comment
   

For more:   follow on Twitter @jefflampl  

No comments:

Post a Comment