Thursday, September 24, 2015

Chapter 3: SALVATION


BLOG
CHAPTER 3 : SALVATION
Thursday, September 24, 2015
Blog by Megann Graf


“Salvation is from Christ alone, and our acceptance of his gift must genuinely come from the
expression of faith from the heart” –Randy Frazee
 

This is a HUGE chapter.  So big that Randy Frazee also states that none of the other chapters will matter much unless you embrace the truths found in this one.  Salvation is what makes us a Christian.  Period.  Not what we do, although that matters greatly for our benefit, and not what we say, though that is also important, but when we accept God’s grace, and in faith, we believe that He is who He says He is - Father, Son and Holy Spirit, then that’s it . . . . we’re in.  Except that we miss a lot of the benefits when we don’t move on from there.  

I’ve been challenged by a song lately (surprise, surprise!), it’s titled “No Longer I,” and it begins with an old hymn that says,

At the cross, at the cross
Where I first saw the light
And the burden of my soul rolled away
It was there, by faith, I received my sight
Now no longer I, but Christ in me
.   

If you’re familiar with the old hymn, the last line is typically, “And now I am happy all the day.” But, I love this change!  Here’s why . . . .  

I feel like every day I come to the crossroads of deciding who I am going to serve.  God or myself?  To declare, “Now no longer I, but Christ in me” has REALLY made me think.  What direction do I head in?  Sometimes I start down the right road, but then come to another, and veer off.  Thank goodness, there are many crossroads in life where I get the chance to change course.  But, why do I keep running the wrong way so many times?   I think it’s just like Jeff mentioned in his sermon last week, when he said how he knows that certain foods are bad, but it just hasn’t taken over in his belief system.   I’m a little better in controlling my mouth with food, but I’m not better with controlling my mouth with words.  In my head, I know that yelling at my kids (or husband!) about things they did or didn’t do is not the best way to handle that situation.  I know that expecting things to be done in my time and in my way is not always right nor is it even an appropriate expectation.   Sometimes I hear things come out of my mouth, and think, “why did I just say that?” In my head, I knew I shouldn’t have, but my heart was still struggling with letting go of self, and giving over to grace.  I know God is good.  I know He is perfect, and I know He is the One I should follow.  But, I have to daily die to myself in order to let Him lead, and that is not easy.  My prayer is that it is no longer I, but Christ who lives in me.  

Here’s a link to the song- see if it challenges you.  If it does, make a conscious effort to look for those moments.  And, remember that when you fail (well, maybe you won’t, but I daily do!) that it is not by anything that we do that we are saved.  That was done by the grace of God.  Don’t let one wrong turn keep you from making a right one.   

The song goes on to say,
I will run to the cross
Where you opened up my eyes
I will sing of the One, who saved me
I will bow in the place
Where Your death became my life
I will run, I will run to the cross.  


Good luck on your journey this week.  Accept His grace, live in faith, and run to the cross! 
-Megann

 
Comment
   

For more:   follow on Twitter @jefflampl  

No comments:

Post a Comment