Wednesday, December 30, 2009

December 30, 2009

I’ve recognized recently that I have not spent daily time confessing and repenting of my sins. Instead my prayers have focused on seeking God’s help in various ways. Repentance is the Greek work “metanoia” which means “change of mind”. I know that I can tend to “drift”. I can fall into habits and attitudes that are not God-honoring and are frankly selfish. It is therefore important for my spiritual health to admit my sins and decide to think and act differently. Confession and repentance need to be daily disciplines.

John preached that we should admit our sins, be genuinely sorry for them, and decide to live better than we have been living. John’s preaching, however, was “pre-christian” meaning that he was telling everyone who would listen that they need to confess and repent in order to receive forgiveness. Christianity, however, is a “post-cross faith”, which means that Christ has already forgiven us.

The reason an “already on the cross forgiven believer” confesses and repents daily is not to earn forgiveness, rather we do so simply because we know we are forgiven, loved by a God who cares for us and wants the best for us. We want to live out the life and forgiveness he’s already offered.

I choose to live a life of loving God because he first loved me.

No comments:

Post a Comment