Sunday, April 17, 2016

Psalm 40 - Waiting

Psalm 40  Waiting

Sunday, April 17, 2016
Gary Arntessoni
  

Think about the last time you saw a big line and thought, "I'm looking forward to standing in that line."  That's not how we think. Long lines are something to avoid. We try to arrive earlier than everyone else, we try to get there during nonpeak hours, we try to avoid long waits. 

In Psalm 40 the writer talks about waiting patiently for the Lord to help. This is not a casual waiting, he has been in the pit of despair, stuck in the mud and the mire. The language indicates all other Hope has been exhausted, "I hope intensely for God alone."

Yet, this is a song of thanksgiving because hope does not disappoint. God shows up, answers, rescues... And the long wait ends.  And now the psalmist wants to sing praise- to tell everyone... Look! God came to my rescue... Be patient, your time will come. 

Psalms come in different literary forms. Psalm 40 is unusual because it combines thanksgiving with lament.  Praise mixed with sorrow- from mountain top to valley, and back again. Long lines, waiting, patience, and slow answers.  

The reality of life is etched into the rhythm of this psalm. We bring God our concerns, and we wait. As we wait God is at work in ways we do not imagine. Suddenly, the answer comes. We have new freedom. There is a lightness to our step... until we find ourselves back in the valley.  

Each time we reach out to God, God hears, draws near, steadies our feet, and puts a new song in our mouths.  This has been Israel's story and it is our story today as well.

When we read this psalm we participate in the whole saving memory of Israel.  Life moves in and out. In life, the joy of deliverance is immediately confronted by the despair and fear of the pit.  

But there is hope because the reality we find ourselves facing is set in a deep trust in God... When we are in need, we can patiently wait- because our God will answer and act on our behalf. 

Be patient, the Lord is near! 

Psalm 40
For the director of music. Of David. A psalm.
I waited patiently for the Lord;
    he turned to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
    out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
    and gave me a firm place to stand.
He put a new song in my mouth,
    a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear the Lord
    and put their trust in him.
Blessed is the one
    who trusts in the Lord,
who does not look to the proud,
    to those who turn aside to false gods.
Many, Lord my God,
    are the wonders you have done,
    the things you planned for us.
None can compare with you;
    were I to speak and tell of your deeds,
    they would be too many to declare.
Sacrifice and offering you did not desire—
    but my ears you have opened—
    burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not require.
Then I said, “Here I am, I have come—
    it is written about me in the scroll,
I desire to do your will, my God;
    your law is within my heart.”
I proclaim your saving acts in the great assembly;
    I do not seal my lips, Lord,
    as you know.
10 I do not hide your righteousness in my heart;
    I speak of your faithfulness and your saving help.
I do not conceal your love and your faithfulness
    from the great assembly.
11 Do not withhold your mercy from me, Lord;
    may your love and faithfulnessalways protect me.
12 For troubles without number surround me;
    my sins have overtaken me, and I cannot see.
They are more than the hairs of my head,
    and my heart fails within me.
13 Be pleased to save me, Lord;
    come quickly, Lord, to help me.
14 May all who want to take my life
    be put to shame and confusion;
may all who desire my ruin
    be turned back in disgrace.
15 May those who say to me, “Aha! Aha!”
    be appalled at their own shame.
16 But may all who seek you
    rejoice and be glad in you;
may those who long for your saving help always say,
    “The Lord is great!”
17 But as for me, I am poor and needy;
    may the Lord think of me.
You are my help and my deliverer;
    you are my God, do not delay.

No comments:

Post a Comment