Wednesday, January 7, 2015

The Spirituality Trap

  Blog »    
       
The Spirituality Trap
       
Wednesday, January 7, 2015
Jeff Lampl


 Long ago the LORD said to Israel: “I have loved you, my people, with an everlasting love.
With unfailing love I have drawn you to myself.”       
Jeremiah 31:3 (NLT)


Have you found, as I have, that the practice of the spiritual disciplines can actually be a trap?   Approached incorrectly they can accomplish exactly the opposite of what the Gospel teaches us.   They can turn the Gospel into a guilt inducing to do list.

Probably for the majority of my Christian Life I have struggled with the disciplines of regular Bible reading, prayer, quiet times, serving, and community.   Mostly I’ve felt like I haven’t done enough or haven’t done them right.   More often than not that has left me feeling guilty that I’m not doing enough for God or with God.    The disciplines all too easily have become another list of to do’s.   Although I am fully aware that the practice of the presence of God must not be allowed to devolve into “if I do these, God will accept me and when I don’t do these, God’s upset with me” I do find myself trapped there sometimes.    The Gospel doesn’t allow for that.   The Gospel tells us that that we are accepted, loved, cherished regardless of what we do.  

I have read books on prayer without actually praying.   I have read about scripture without actually reading scripture.   I have prayed lists to God without actually connecting with God.   I have served God in ways that have actually prevented me from meeting God.

What God really wants is a relationship with each of us whereby we are silent long enough to hear him tell us how much he loves us, how much he wants for us not from us.

A spiritual discipline, practiced properly, is not something we do in order to gain God’s favor or to make us better people, rather is a practice which positions us so that God has space to connect with us, space for God to get a word in edgewise.  They are about God, not about us and the quality of our practices.


Comment
   

For more:   follow on Twitter @jefflampl  

No comments:

Post a Comment