Friday, January 16, 2015

How I've been applying this series to myself

Blog »    
       
How I've been applying this series to myself
       
Friday, January 16, 2015
Jeff Lampl



 
You may be tempted to think that since I’m a pastor, all I do all day is commune with God and ride high on the Holy Spirit.   Before being a pastor I was a teacher.   I cared a lot about my job which means that it was hectic and time consuming.   Well, being a pastor is the same only more so.   This means that even though I’m in the Bible a lot and read a lot, it’s easy for all of that to function as ways to distance me from God rather than connect me to Him.    Therefore I need the series we’re in just as much as you do.  And here’s what I’ve been doing.
 
I’m swallowing the pride of trying be the first one to work and last to leave (not that I always succeed, but when I do it can be a pride thing).   On Wednesdays I’m starting at home, taking my daughter to school at 9:00 and then going to work.   On the one hand it feels lazy and irresponsible, but that’s so ridiculous because I get the same amount done and it’s slower.  In the midst of that I’m taking more time to be with God in my Day by Day devotional.
 
I’m looking at my to-do list as a one thing at a time thing.   I’m accepting that each thing will take time and I’m doing each thing with that in mind rather than rushing and always feeling irritated that the to do took so long.  That allows me to be more attentive to the task at hand, to others, and to God
 
I’m doing my Day by Day devotional most days, and when I don’t get to it for a certain reason, I’m okay with that, no guilt trip because my time with God is all day  (even though I am mostly not conscious of God’s “thereness”) not just during the devotional time.
 
When I come home at night, I just sit down and talk to Kathy.   We are doing devotional things together at various times as our time together allows.   It seems to work better for us that way.   Were I coming home to young children I would devote my time and energies to them and to giving my wife relief from being home with them all day.   That would be my spiritual act of worship (Romans 12:1,2)
 
Maybe the biggest thing for me is taking the time to be silently alone where my thoughts, fears, failures, self-condemnation, sins of commission and omission, hopes, dreams, relational challenges and joys, all of it can surface.   It’s a form of confession for me.    Letting all of me be exposed before all of God.  Emotions can either be brought to God or ignored.  The former will allow God in, the latter will exclude him.  In the past I would typically conclude that kind of time with the awareness of my shortfall and the need to do better all the stuff I should do to get right with God.    That’s now changed.   And it’s a revolutionary change.  I now conclude these silent times with Romans 8:1, 31-38 and similar passages that tell me the Gospel, the Good News, which is that that God does not condemn, that Jesus came to save, that Jesus already has, that God’s love for me is profound, deep, unconditional, and can never be removed.   I find that empowering.   As Romans tells us in 1:17, the Gospel is a power.   After quiet times like these, I want to spend more time with God, not have to.    I feel a strength to get up and face the challenges of the day, I feel a growing freedom from having to perform but for noticing others and seeing their fundamental holiness.  
Contemplative spirituality + emotional awareness and vulnerability before God is indeed a life-giving combination.   I love God more than I ever have before.

Comment
   
For more:   follow on Twitter @jefflampl  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Comment
   

For more:   follow on Twitter @jefflampl 

No comments:

Post a Comment