Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Grace for Idiots

Grace for Idiots

Tuesday, July 5, 2016
Jeff Lampl

The story of Joseph begins in Genesis 37 with our learning that

           a.    Joseph ratted on his brothers to his father  (vs. 2)
           b.    Joseph’s father, Jacob (Israel), loved him more than his other kids (vs 4)
           c.    Joseph had a better coat than his brothers
           d.    Joseph has the impudence to tell his (mostly) older brothers about two dreams  he
             had of his ruling over them (vs 5-9), causing them to hate Joseph even more than
             they already did

This story makes me think that Joseph got exactly what he deserved.  Or did he?  (read more)

It looks to me at least like Joseph was a spoiled brat.   His father loved him best.   His brothers hated him for it.  Yet Joseph rubbed it in.   He was a snitch, apparently flaunted his new coat, and taunted his brothers telling them that God has planned for them to bow down to him.   As a result his brothers plotted to kill him, relented and instead sold him as a slave.

It looks like Joseph got what was coming to him (okay, yes, being murdered or sold as slave is a bit over the top).   It looks like a story of what goes around comes around, you reap what you sow.   We learn that God “gives us over” to the consequences of our actions (Romans 1) and it seems that at the very least Joseph made it easy for his brothers to do away with him without remorse. 

But we also know that God had chosen Joseph as His means of rescuing his brothers and their families, even as one of God’s chosen characters in the Story of God’s rescuing the world.

Can it be  that God chooses snitches, brats and impudent rascals to redeem a world of people (us) who probably think that we are better than the those lousy brothers of his (if we think that, we would do well to think again).

What this story teaches me is that God has only deeply flawed people like you and me to choose from when he’s looking for people to use. 

When I think of my youth and what an Idiot I was (still am?)  in so many ways, yet that he chose me  (and you . . . were you an idiot in your youth?) to become a believer and to serve him,  I am humbled.   Grace always trumps our sin.   Grace always, in the end, wins.     I don’t see flawless heroes in the Bible.  I see sinners saved and chosen by Grace.  

I hope that this encourages you.  It encourages me.  The Bible is a millennia long story of God giving Grace to brats like Joseph and then honoring them by growing them up and using them in His service.    There is Grace and Hope for idiots like me.


No comments:

Post a Comment